Thursday 31 December 2015

Review of 2015

Although 2015 has been an enjoyable and productive year not everything has gone exactly the way I would have expected.
  1. I got quite close to resigning from being a school governor - after 32 years service in assorted schools and colleges. Then, rather unexpectedly, a new series of challenges fell into my lap and I felt sufficiently motivated to carry on.
  2. My postal history research has pretty much ground to a halt. There are several incomplete projects sitting on my study table but at the moment I lack to time, energy and enthusiasm to do anything with them. Much the same has happened with my South African postcard collection - nobody out there seems interested in the social history of South Africa pre-union and I don't seem to get the pleasure I used to get from working on these things on my own.
  3. Claire and I finished our survey of Herefordshire Churches, Churchyards and Cemeteries and we have now turned our attention to Worcestershire.  We have sold 364 books in the last 365 days which is vastly more than I would ever have predicted. It was quite an experience "appearing" on Radio Shropshire and giving a talk to the local Probus group on our favourite topic.
  4. Our former neighbour Betty died in late January.  She was a character in the very nicest sense of the word. Julie Bourchier, a former work colleague from my time in Somerset, died far too young in May. Eli and Flora have joined our extended family in 2015 to take their places.
  5. We had a lovely day with other family members at  Blist Hill Victorian town and we also attended my Auntie Margaret’s 90th birthday party over in Cambridge. 
  6. The Christmas family gathering was great fun even if it was all rather hectic.
  7. The three young people I mentor continue to thrive despite the very casual approach of the project organisers who spent all the available money on staff salaries leaving nothing for the travel expenses of the volunteers such as me!
  8. The electrics for the outside lights remain a problem that seems to be unresolvable at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment