Thursday 8 November 2012

A successful week

It has been a good week.

Top of the pile of course must be the US election where the odious Romney was defeated in an election that should have been his to win. I would say that the Republicans will now have to come to terms with the sad (for them) fact that the party in its current form is highly unlikely to ever win a Presidential election! Romney has been described as a man who "stood for nothing and everything at the same time." I don’t reckon he is nearly that good. Many within the religious right in the US come across as totally irrational and I find myself wanting to give them a good shake - by the neck! The "Just as long as I'm OK then sod the other fellow" philosophy seems to be their mantra, a curious approach for Christians to adopt I would have thought
This week I was elected Chair of Governors of a nearby school. Those of you with long memories might raise a quizzical eyebrow at this news but the truth of the matter was that I was needed, urgently, and at the ripe old age of 58 I probably still have a few more years of public service in me. I like to work on the basis of obtaining a consensus that all the members can at least live with and I was finding the confrontational approach of two of my younger colleagues tiresome in the extreme.

My third “victory” was to be accused of manipulating somebody. I agree that I have some vices but being manipulative isn’t one of them. Indeed if there is anybody less manipulative than me I have yet to meet them. What my accuser really meant was that I expressed some mild opposition to their principle that the weighing of heads is better than the counting of them and they didn’t like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment